the journey  


::Sources::

Today's Scripture Text
Lives of the Saints

Please visit The Journey
[this weblog's sponsor]

All But Dissertation
Amy Welborn
Curt Jester, The
The Blog from the Core
A Catholic Blog for Lovers
A Catholic Point of View
The Christian Conscience
Consecrated Life: Sister Dianne
Crossroads Initiative: Catholic Study
Dappled Things
De Virtutibus
Disputations
Domestic Excellence
Flos Carmeli
From the Anchor Hold
Goodform
Grain of Wheat
. . .ibidem
Just Your Average Catholic Guy
Life Matters!
Monk's Progress
My Daily Crumbs
The New Pope Blog
Oblique House
PCP - Out-of-Print Catholic Books
St. Blog's Parish
[a list of Catholic blogs]
Summa Minutiae
Tenebrae
Veritas
Video meliora, proboque . . .


Contact / Help / Info:



::Past::

Earliest Blog Archives from
August 2002 to August 2003

The Daily Meditations
are available free
by email subscription:
Name:
Email Address:
Age:
Country:





Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of the faithful!
This page is powered by Blogger.
   20040328
Sunday.blog

The Catholic Calendar for Sunday, March 28, 2004
Fifth Sunday of Lent

Scripture from today's Liturgy of the Word:
Isaiah 43:16-21
Psalm 126:1-6
Philippians 3:8-14
John 8:1-11

A reflection on today's Sacred Scripture:

“For the sake of Christ I have accepted the loss of all things,
and I consider them so much rubbish.”
(see Philippians 3:8)

Today’s Second Reading brings to my mind a question. I wonder what kind of advice great Spiritual Directors would give about whether we should look to those who made great spiritual progress in holiness or just keep our eyes focused on our own lives, duties, responsibility and responses? Probably the wisest course lies somewhere in between -- the course between great saint and lowly sinner.

I know for myself that when St. Paul tells all the wonderful things he has done, I am left feeling almost despondent, so pitiful has my response been to God’s love.

Maybe when we can’t be like a great saint, we can at least remember some little thing they said or did and imitate them in just a little way. I am going to do that. I might not be able to be like Saint Paul, always able to look at the “finish line” because I am so fixed on the road along the way. But at least I might be able to say, “My, isn’t there an awful lot of rubbish here on this road!” Rubbish indeed!

- Donna Raye Nelson, ocds
(drn3rd at hotmail dot com)

____________________

These meditations are also available by email subscription
©1986-2004 The Way, The Truth, The Life