the journey  


::Sources::

Today's Scripture Text
Lives of the Saints

Please visit The Journey
[this weblog's sponsor]

All But Dissertation
Amy Welborn
Curt Jester, The
The Blog from the Core
A Catholic Blog for Lovers
A Catholic Point of View
The Christian Conscience
Consecrated Life: Sister Dianne
Crossroads Initiative: Catholic Study
Dappled Things
De Virtutibus
Disputations
Domestic Excellence
Flos Carmeli
From the Anchor Hold
Goodform
Grain of Wheat
. . .ibidem
Just Your Average Catholic Guy
Life Matters!
Monk's Progress
My Daily Crumbs
The New Pope Blog
Oblique House
PCP - Out-of-Print Catholic Books
St. Blog's Parish
[a list of Catholic blogs]
Summa Minutiae
Tenebrae
Veritas
Video meliora, proboque . . .


Contact / Help / Info:



::Past::

Earliest Blog Archives from
August 2002 to August 2003

The Daily Meditations
are available free
by email subscription:
Name:
Email Address:
Age:
Country:





Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of the faithful!
This page is powered by Blogger.
   20050426

The Catholic Calendar for Tuesday, April 26, 2005
Tuesday of the Fifth Week of Easter


Scripture from today's Liturgy of the Word:
Acts 14:19-28
Psalm 145:10-13,21
John 14:27-31

A reflection on today's Sacred Scripture:

I'm fascinated today by what initially appears to be a large contrast in today's readings. In the first reading we find Paul being stoned, dragged out of the city and left for dead. In the Gospel Reading we hear our Lord tell the disciples, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you." I find myself wondering what kind of peace is this that permits one of the great apostles to be stoned to death!

As we read on, Our Lord's next line in today's Gospel smoothes out the contrast. "Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid." Yes, NOT as the world gives -- that is the key! Our Lord's peace is something not found anywhere else. It comes with the knowledge that no matter what happens to us in this world, our true selves belong to Him and no one else. Christ's peace allowed Paul to be stoned and left for dead. It allowed Stephen to be stoned as the church's first martyr; it allowed all but one apostle to be martyred; and it allowed many to persevere through unthinkable trials and pain for two thousand years. Yes, His peace is something altogether different.

I often find myself under the pressures the world offers and have no peace whatsoever. It is then that I realize I have wrongfully put my trust in things other than our Lord; and when I come to Him, the peace returns. Praise and thanks to you, my Lord, for your complete peace and love.



- Don Claunch, SFO
(dlclaunch at bresnan dot net)

____________________

These meditations are also available by email subscription
©1986-2005 The Way, The Truth, The Life







Comments: Post a Comment